Fossils No. 8
This unit includes:
- a fossil brachiopod (enlarged upper
and lower views)
- a fossil dinosaur bone fragment
- a specimen of lignitized wood
(broken into many fragments)
- a set of descriptive museum-style cards, shown in the photo next
to the samples they describe.
- four pages of notes containing 3 experiments.
Unlike later units, these notes were provided on two US letter-size sheets
of paper rather than stapled together in the form of a booklet.
This unit is the oldest I've been able to examine. Other
Things of Science units containing fossils appeared in
1942 (Fern Fossil, unit 19),
1952 (Ancient Marine Life,
1963 (Fossils, unit 274),
1970 (Fossils, unnumbered), and
1977 (Fossils, unnumbered).